Friday, February 3, 2012

Green Apple and Goat Cheese salad


This recipe was adapted from Clean Eating. I'm glad I try all my recipes first because I had to tweak this one a little bit. I thought it had too much vinegar so I adjusted the amounts.  
When completed this recipe is beautiful on a plate and if you cut the apples thin enough I think it's a great side salad.





Serves 4 (as a side salad)
Calories per serving = 60
(Bonus info: Total fat 3.5g, Sat fat 1g, Carbs 5g, Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g, 
Protein 1g, Sodium 125mg, Cholesterol 5mg)


Ingredients
-1/4 shallot, minced
-1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
-1 Tbsp. apple juice
-2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
-pinch of kosher or sea salt
-pinch of black pepper
-1 large tart green apple (granny smith)
-1 oz arugula leaves (about 2 cups)
-2 Tbsp. crumbled goat cheese

1. In a bowl, whisk shallot, vinegar, juice, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Cut apple crosswise (through core) into thin slices, discarding seeds. I used my apple core instead of the extra step with cutting out the seeds. Arrange apples on plate and drizzle with half the dressing. 
3. Add arugula to bowl with remaining dressing and toss. Arrange arugula on top of apples and top with goat cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment